Artist Chuck Close is an American Artist who practiced photorealism, before a spinal artery collapsed and left him paralyzed from the neck down. He regained some movement in his arms and continues to create art from his wheelchair using devices to hold his paintbrushes.
The 8th grade tried to, “walk a mile in Chuck Close’s shoes”. First, they assembled chairs, paints, water, and paper in the hallway. Then, I taped on paintbrushes affixed to rulers and they began to create art.
Here are some photos and comments from the kids:
1. I learned that it was hard to paint with the paint brushes like this.
2. I learned that it is not nice to make fun of somebody with a disorder or injury.
3. I learned that with a disorder or injury what ever you do, you can achieve it.
4. I learned that don’t make fun of somebody, because it can hurt them.
5. I learned that love comes in different ways.
Things I learned about the Art Project
I learned that it is very hard to paint with basically no hands. It is very complicated and annoying. I wonder how he feels when he paints…
Another thing I learned about painting with a ruler/paint brush is that it kind of hurts my hands, because when I try to do little spectacles on the picture it just hurts, because your concentrating hard.
Other than that, it was very fun drawing people.
Another that was very irritating was that we couldn’t get out the seat which is very complicated because I had some problems that I needed to attend to.
I loved the project and it was fun just seeing what other people were painting.
Anari: I learned that it’s not always going to be easy to do things with a disability, but they always try to do it even though they can’t. It’s hard for them to paint or to draw, but the one thing I know is to never give up, just keep trying.
Hanneef: I learned that it is hard to do paintings when you are disabled because you cannot move physically without help. Also, that means you will need people to help you make your art. So, you need to be nice to be people to be successful in your painting career. That’s what I learned from my experiment while painting with brushes stuck to my hands.
Marcus: 1. I learned that it’s not easy being still for a long time. Also, it’s hard to add detail with only your arms, not your hands.
2. I learned that you have to be happy you have working arms and legs. Also, that you need to be thankful for everything you have.
3. I also learned that you have to stay seated so things don’t get messed up.
Chanel: Today I learned about the painter, Chuck Close. Chuck is a very talented artist. Chuck’s spinal artery collapsed and he is still paralyzed from the neck down. Chuck is known to be strong and to never give up. Nothing can stand in the way of Chuck Close painting!